Sacrament Of Baptism
Jesus told his disciples, “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
At Baptism, we are welcomed into the larger Christian community of believers. Baptism forgives all personal sin and washes away the stain of Original Sin. The sacrament infuses sanctifying grace. Baptism imprints in the soul a character, a certain spiritual and indelible sign, and as such can only be received once.
In the Catholic Tradition, we are generally baptized as infants. However, persons of any age may be baptized. Only the baptized may receive the other sacraments of the Church.
Steps for Infant Baptism
- If this is your first child, you are required to take a Baptismal Preparation Class. Please call Joan Kane at 773-474-7800 to schedule. Baptismal Preparation Classes are generally held on the first Tuesday of each month.
- Call Joan Kane at 773-474-7800 to schedule your child’s baptism. Baptisms are normally held on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 12:30PM.
Requirements for Godparents
- Godparents are to be at least 16 years of age
- Godparents are to be Confirmed Catholics
- Godparents should be practicing their faith and willing to support their Godchild in a life of faith
Adults are baptized in the Church through the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults process (RCIA). For more information, please contact our pastor, Fr. Frank at 773-474-7800 for more information.